It’s wonderful hearing of new restaurants. As much investigation as I do, as many resources that I have for learning of hot spots and must-have places, sometimes word of mouth is the way to go. As in the case of my latest Burger Quest resto. Mindlessly scrolling through Facebook one day, I noticed my friend Karen’s post about her meal at OMB. And – gasp! – could it be? A local burger spot off my belly’s radar? After I commented on her post wondering where this magical place was, a different Karin (i instead of e) joined in, telling me that I had to try OMB’s charburger with onion rings. So I was set from that moment, ready to scream Oh My with my first bite.
It’s a pocket-sized place. I almost missed it as I headed west along El Segundo in Gardena. My navigators spotted it, two of my girls and the 27-year-old son I adopted from work (he’s got his own place with his biologicals but often joins us for meals). And so it was on, yet another Burger Quest.
The work son was many times more adventurous than his mama, opting for OMB’s Oh My Luther, a double bacon cheeseburger packaged between two Krispy Kreme doughnuts (an apparent riff off the savory-sweet combo a la chicken & waffles or a McGriddle). While I packed a lot on my burger, I stayed relatively conservative with my choice of a turkey patty on brioche.
Oh My, they made a sista happy with their selection of Pepsi products (I only do Coke when forced). And not only did they have my beloved turkey burgers but also veggie patties and chicken breasts.
My burger was not a healthy one, though and that’s a good thing since, despite my public health career, I wasn’t going for healthy. A Burger Quest meal is a treat; a special occasion outing or a once in a while thing, so the heartburn, the bubbling belly that kept me up later that night wasn’t a surprise and perhaps even expected. And worth it – the bold burger flavors meshed well with the slithery onion rings and oozing cheese that topped my burger, and balanced well with the rich and satisfying OMB sauce, basically an aioli on steroids. This burger was on point. The work son said his burger was pretty good, but the doughnuts didn’t really hold up to the contents of the sandwich itself, essentially disintegrating before he could finish it.
He did finish it, though.
I left a few bites behind in my basket, but not for lack of trying to stuff it all down. As ambitious as my mouth was, this stomach of mine can only hold so much. With the fries and all the diet Pepsi fizziness, I did the best I could. So Oh My, I enjoyed an awesome burger at OMB. So how does it compare to the other divine burgers on my list?
Official Dianderthal Burger Quest Burger List:
1. Hawkins House of Burgers turkey burger with
everything (mayo, mustard, pickles, tomato, red onion, lettuce), cheese added
2. PCB (Plan Check Burger) at Plan Check with americanized dashi cheese, ketchup leather, schmaltz onions,
mixed pickles, crunch bun
3. 25 Degrees Number One Burger (turkey subbed for beef) with caramelized onions, crescenza, prelibato gorgonzola,
bacon, arugula, thousand island
4. Father’s Office Burger with arugula, caramelized onions, Gruyere, applewood bacon, and maytag blue cheese
5. Island’s California Flyer turkey burger (BBQ sauce, “Island Reds” – fried onion straws, pepper jack cheese, lettuce,
tomato & mayo)
6.Golden State turkey burger with provolone, lettuce,
tomato, red onion, aioli, and ketchup, (added grilled onions)
7. Oh My Burger BYOMB (Build Your Oh My Burger) turkey with OMB sauce, ketchup, pepper jack, and onion rings
8. Holstein’s California Turkey Burger with sprouts,
tomato, avocado, cucumber claw, pepperjack cheese, and Russian dressing
9. Yeah! Burger (Make It Your Own – turkey patty, whole wheat bun, pepper jack cheese, sriracha mayo, ketchup, grilled onions, honey mustard)
10. The Habit (Veggie burger made like a Charburger, with mayo,
pickle, tomato, lettuce, caramelized onions, cucumber, and sprouts)
11. The Counter (Build Your Own – turkey patty, grilled onions, cheddar cheese, chipotle aioli, ketchup)
12. Burger City Grill (The BCG, turkey patty,
pickles, grilled onions)
13. The Dallas at Bobby’s Burger Palace – spice crusted ground turkey patty with coleslaw, jack cheese, BBQ sauce, and
1. Island’s fries with ranch dressing
2. Golden State fried sweet potato wedges with garlic aioli (and a few with curry ketchup)
3. Holstein’s sweet potato fries
4. 25 Degrees Half & Half (sweet potato and regular fries)
5. Father’s Office sweet potato fries with blue cheese aioli
6. The Counter 50-50 fries (half regular, half sweet Ps)
7. Oh My Burger sweet potato fries
8. The Habit french fries
9. Plan Check sweet potato waffle fries and regular fries
10. Bobby’s Burger Palace sweet potato fries
11. Burger City Grill fries
12. Yeah! Burger sweet potato fries
13. Hawkins House of Burgers fries
Oh My Burger
2142 W. El Segundo Blvd. in Gardena